Monday, June 8, 2009

Let's start at the very beginning

A great theologian (I can't remember who!) said where you begin is crucial to your theology. To begin here, we must begin with Jesus Christ, the alpha and omega, the beginning and the end. In the beginning was the Word, namely Jesus Christ. As the Barmen declaration so aptly put it: Jesus Christ, as he is attested for us in Holy Scripture, is the one Word of God which we have to hear and which we have to trust and obey in life and in death.

Over my years of study and ministry, I have encountered many theologians and spiritual writers who have influenced me. John Calvin, whom we are celebrating the 500th anniversary of his birth is a fundamental influence. Karl Barth is the "modern" theologian who influences me the most. I am also a student of Reformed Church history, and have been duly influenced by the great Puritan "divines" of the 17th century.

Yet, as a pastor, I am also influenced by the lives of the many saints in my congregation. I live in the Houghs Neck section of Quincy, Massachusetts, a peninsula that juts out into the bay. It is a beautiful place to live, with magnificent views of the water and a great perspective on the Boston skyline. Many people here in Houghs Neck have lived here all their lives: they could not think of living anywhere else. There is a sense of community and stability here that is sadly lacking in many other places in our world. I often joke that everyone in my congregation is a "lifetime member." Their faithfulness and commitment to this small church is inspiring.

I am totally new to blogging and hope that this might serve as many people out there as possible. I pray for God's grace and peace to you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment