Sunday, July 25, 2010

Christmas in July

Well, today we tried our first "Christmas in July" worship service here at church.  I've been wanting to do this for a few years, but it just hasn't worked out.  Since today is actually the 25th of July, I thought it would be a great start to a tradition.

As I was trying to put the service together, I search for resources.  I was pretty disappointed when I googled Christmas in July and found most of the hits to be about stores selling stuff.  It almost seems like Christmas in July was not a Church invention, but one where marketers try to get people to buy more stuff in a slow season.  So much for trying to get away from the commercial part of Christmas.

My sermon was a meditation on what it was like for Mary to carry Jesus in her womb for nine months.  We cram so much of the Christmas story into four weeks, without realizing how much time the actual story takes.  The angel Gabriel comes to Mary in March to let her know what God has planned for her.   This means the Christmas story starts around Lent/Easter, goes through summer and fall, and finally ends in December.

I thought I would share an audio file of the sermon.  I hope it will keep you cool in these hot summer months.



No comments:

Post a Comment