Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Hole in Our Gospel

Last Sunday, the lectionary came again to the Good Samaritan. I've preached before on it, and quite frankly, I wince when I see these stories coming around again: what else do you say about the Good Samaritan? Hasn't it been milked for all its worth?

Yet I have found something new to say about it, since reading Richard Stearn's book The Hole in our Gospel. A colleague of mine, who has done a lot of work for WorldVision (Stearn's is the president), a Christian missionary organization, kept suggesting the book, so I found a way to have our book club read it.

I found it absolutely moving. So much, that I sponsored six more children and decided to give a microloan per month through WorldVision. I never really felt any great passion for mission in my ministry, but somehow Stearns has moved my heart in a way that others haven't. I come from a "social justice" denomination, with a huge missionary and social gospel tradition, yet somehow what they said did not reach me.

What really impresses me about WorldVision is that their Christian focus is very clear. When you get your sponsorship package, the first thing they ask you to do is pray for them. They use theological language to express what your sponsorship means. They talk about how their work displays God's unconditional love for those in need.

The book is combines Stearns' story of his calling to be president of WorldVision, which is a tremendous story in itself, with his making a theological case for caring more for those in need.

Somehow, after reading Stearns' book, I really understood the Good Samaritan in a new way. In any case, I want to attach my sermon on the good Samaritan to this post. I hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment