Monday, September 20, 2010

The Theology of Clam Chowder

I can't believe it - I actually won first place in the Houghs Neck Chowdafest competition!  By one vote!  I entered for the first time last year, just to see, and I came in second.  I really never expected it.  It is a strange experience putting your chowder out there for everybody to taste and judge.  The best part is that you get to meet hundreds of people who come up to you.  As a pastor, it's critical to connect with the community, and this is such a great opportunity.

A few interesting things about the experience.  First is the experience of how "buzz" works.  Word of mouth is powerful, and somehow, you build momentum for your chowder through word of mouth.  People try it, and tell others that you have the best chowder.  Word of mouth is so real and so important, whether in chowders or in churches.  If you have a good product, word will get around.

Another thing: people kept asking me about my "secret ingredient."  Some tasted cinnamon.  Some thought it was garlic or fennel.  Quite frankly, there really wasn't any secret ingredient.  The chowder is as simple as can be, really.  It's amazing what people taste that is simply not there.  It's just like when people come to me after I preach a sermon about love and they thank me for my sermon on hope.  So much of this is subjective.

One last thing: several people asked me if I made the chowder.  I didn't know what to say.  "No, my mother made it?"  "I got it out of a can?"  Of course I made it!  I just wonder why they ask.  Don't they think a man can make chowder of something?  I really don't know.

The best part of the day is that it was a great event for the Houghs Neck Community Council, who raises most of it's money here at the chowdafest.  There were 1300 people there, and it was so good to see everybody getting out, and enjoying a great day.  It was also a great day for Houghs Neck Congregational Church.  We raised a lot of money at a Bake Sale table to fund the playgrounds in the area.  We sold great t-shirts to help the church.  Marty Gordon, a great member of the church and community, won the "Mayor of Houghs Neck" competition.  I couldn't imagine a better day.

A lot of people now are encouraging me to give a recipe for the chowder.  I made 9 gallons of chowder for the day, so you probably don't want that recipe.  But here is the "home" version of my "award winning" chowder.

I prefer my chowder on the creamy side, rather than the milky side, so that is why I put in a flour/butter roux and use half and half.   A good "mouth feel" is important.  I know this is not exactly "health food" but I think you really need the fat to make it taste good (I know Julia Child is with me on this one).  I also want to make sure people taste clams, so plenty of clam juice is important.  Believe it or not, the bacon helps give it a "sea" taste.  I think part of the appeal of clams and other shell fish is getting a sensation of "sea water" as you eat the clams.  Same thing with clam chowder.  I put in the clams at very last, since they cook pretty quickly and turn rubbery if they cook to much.

3 oz.   Bacon
1 onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, with leaves, finely diced
1 1/4 lb.  potatoes, diced to 1/2 inch cubes
1 quart  clam juice
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/2 quarts half and half
12 oz.  chopped clams
salt and white pepper to taste

1.  In a large stock pot, fry bacon over medium heat until crisp.  Remove to paper towel.  When cool, crumble into small pieces.
2.  Saute onions and celery  in bacon fat until soft.  Add potatoes.
3.  Add clam juice and bring to a simmer.
4.  In a separate pan, melt butter and add the flour.  Constantly stir mixture on medium-low heat until smooth, about 3 minutes.
5.  Add flour/butter mixture to simmering stock.  Stir until thick and stock comes back to a simmer.
6.  Add half and half and bring back to simmer, stirring.  Gently simmer for 15 minutes, stirring often.
7.  Season with salt and pepper.
8.  Add the clams.  Simmer for a few minutes more and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment